Sunday, October 9, 2011

A Day at the Farm 10/07-09/2010

This is Amazone rose. Its time to shine is the fall and early spring. It doesn't do much in the hot summer months. It blooms in the heat, but they aren't pretty and they fall apart almost immediately upon opening.


  • Arrived on Friday afternoon. Made some pea soup for the birthday dinner on Sunday.

  • On Saturday morning it was cloudy and therefore good weather to work in! We had some good rain on Saturday afternoon and Sunday. I sat on the porch and watched the rain.

  • Planted some kale and celery plants. The Vegetable Garden looks good. Everything I've planted is popping up except for the spinach Not sure why, the germination period is not that long so it should have popped up by now. That's ok, I'll just sown some more seeds. Turned the bed I planted the kale and celery in as well as buried some oranges and added some compost. The goal now is to keep the nematodes away. Buried some oranges in the green bean beds. Beans are a favorite host plant for nematodes. Lots of flowers on the green bean plants.

  • I planted 5 perennial agaretum "Wayside" in the Long Border.

  • Planted 4 Wedelia in the Grass Garden.

  • Pulled lots of weeds.

  • Replanted my Japanese Roses (Kerria Japonica) that the armadillos uprooted.

  • Waterd a few plants that were struggling.

  • Planted the remainder of the Nema-Gone marigolds in the Vegetable Garden and the Orchard.

  • Cleaned the house.

  • Woke up about 5:30 on Saturday and Sunday. Sat on the porch drinking coffee and watching the day break both mornings.

  • My neighbor and I agreed to trade plants. She has some double pink Althea that I really want, and she wants some of my pink Turk's Cap. Both plants are rare.

No comments:

Post a Comment