Sunday, October 16, 2011

A Weekend at the Farm 10/14-16/2010

Arrived Friday morning Beautiful weekend. The weather was wonderful.


  • Deadheaded the roses.


  • Sprayed herbicide in the Rose Garden.


  • Lots of bluebonnets are sprouting in the gravel around the rose boxes. I dug some of them up and transplanted them to the rose boxes.


  • Planted 3 collard plants in the Vegetable Garden, more than that I cannot eat.


  • Planted some Early Italian Garlic in the Vegetable Garden.


  • Sowed some swiss chard, radishes, spinach, and parsnips in spots where the seeds did not come up.


  • Sowed Moss Curled Parsley in the Vegetable Garden around the garlic. Parsley is really difficult to grow. Not a good germinator. I soaked the seeds overnight to see if that would help. Parsley is expensive, and I like to plant a lot of it. Hopefully these seeds will grow.


  • Weeded in the Vegetable Garden and sprayed herbicide on the paths.


  • Fertilized the asparagus.


  • Fiddled around with the herbicide sprayer. Clogged. What a disgusting job. Herbicide gets all over your hands while you try to clean the nozzle.


  • Lots of green beans growing, but a little too soon to pick them. Of course, by next weekend they will be past their prime...


  • Worked in the Orchard for a long time on Saturday.


  • Trimmed the male grape vine, just the branches sprouting along the main vine. My male is not very robust compared to the two females. Not sure what to do about that. I'll give it one more year I guess.


  • Pulled up some salvias growing around my Celeste Fig tree, laid down some compost around it, buried some oranges around it, and planted 4 marigolds around it. Fig trees are very susceptible to nematodes. So I'm trying to be very careful.


  • Pulled lots of weeds in the Orchard. The bulbs are beginning to show themselves. And the wild flower seedlings are beginning to appear. This is an exciting time of year.


  • Sprayed herbicide in the Orchard.


  • Planted High Scent Sweet peas in one of the star points in the Star Garden. Also planted Villa Roma Navy Blue Sweet Peas in one of the star points in the Star Garden. Surrounded them with chicken wire staked into the ground - rabbits love sweet peas. They wouldn't survive the rabbit onslaught if I didn't protect them. Once they are mature the rabbits leave them alone, but when they are young, forget it! Soak sweet pea seeds overnight for better germination.


  • Planted a Harlequin Glorybower (Clerodendrum trichotomum) in a pot in the Vegetable Garden. I ordered this old fashioned tree on line from Woodlanders. Not sure where I will place it on a permanent basis because it is a tree, and I need to think about it carefully.


  • Planted Pearl Bush (Exochorda racemosa) in the old Hollyhock bed. I ordered it online from Woodlanders.


  • Planted 'Java Red' Weigela florida in the Bulb Bed, also ordered from Woodlanders. Both shrubs are old fashioned passalong plants. I am focusing on shrubs right now because they get big!


  • Cut back the Mexican leucantha. Sprinkled 6 stem segments with root hormone and stuck them in the Grass Garden and the Long Border. Hopefully they will take root! That would be a very cheap way to fill up my gardens. I got very inspired about rooting plants. I came home and cut two white single Althea stems and put them in water. I also put root hormone on a piece of Harlequin Glorybower and I am trying to root it (it broke during shipping).


  • Cut back salvia.


  • Drank lots of beer!


  • Took several walks through the woods.

No comments:

Post a Comment