Monday, July 26, 2010

A Weekend at the Farm 07/25-26/10



I picked some wonderful, sweet cantaloupes from the garden. Delicious!

I also staked some okra that I planted about two weeks ago. This is an heirloom burgundy okra, and it is a little spindly. It will be ok. I planted some of the seeds about a month ago, and they are about three feet tall now and substantial.

I picked about 15 tomatoes. There are a few green ones left and then tomatoes will be gone. I'm going to cut them down to the ground and try to get a fall crop.

Pulled weeds in the Vegetable Garden.

I planted Henna in the Infinity Garden. I thought it would be fun to grow. I also planted Lemongrass. Actually I planted both of these in pots - the Henna because it is a tender perennial and the Lemongrass because it can get very, very big. No space for it in the flowerbed.

I trimmed and cut back plants in the Star Garden. In the summer the lushness and rapid growth in the gardens is really something to witness.

Swam in the pool and drank Bud Light.

Drove around the property and looked at the beautiful woods.

Watched the butterflies and the birds. Everything seems alive. There is movement everywhere - grasshoppers, spiders, butterflies, bees, birds, squirrels, insects of every color and shape.

Deadheaded the roses in the Rose Garden.

Weeded in the Long Border and pulled up a lot of the Cleome before it set its seed. Cleome can really become a pest if all the seeds are allowed to drop to the ground.

Watered the fruit trees in the The Orchard and the shrubs in the Greenhouse Garden.

Admired the Shade Garden - the 4 varieties of Elephant Ears I planted this spring and the 4 varieties of Hosta are amazing looking. But particularly the Elephant Ears. What big, goofy plants they are!

No comments:

Post a Comment