Sunday, May 8, 2011

What's Blooming Now - Rudbeckia Maxima 05/02/2011

Planted along a fence next to the Vegetable Garden. Alongside I have some Mexican Mint Marigold, some rain lilies, and I am growing pumpkins.








Rudbeckia Maxima has very large ears which is why it has earned the common name Dumbo Ear Cone Flower. It can grow to 6 feet tall. I have mine growing along a fence to help prop it up and protect it from high winds. The leaves are large as I mentioned previously, and they are a pretty gray-green. The petals are that yellow color we are all familiar with amongst the black-eyed Susan type of wildflower, but the central cone of the flower can be 4 - 6 inches tall. Very unusual. When the cone dries out the finches and other small birds love the seeds. This is an evergreen perennial. A clump of greenery remains throughout the winter. Each year the clump (I like that word!) gets bigger. It is a drought tolerant plant. I have mine planted in a place that gets some incidental water, it is not in the main path of the sprinklers.











No comments:

Post a Comment