Sunday, July 17, 2011

A Weekend at the Farm 07/16-17/2011

My spunky Cairn Terrier, Rocky, was the hero this weekend. He rooted out an armadillo and trapped him under the boardwalk. My husband went out there with a gun and saw him through the cracks in the boards. He stuck his gun between the boards and shot him easy as you please. Sounds cruel. But, armadillos are destructive. I don't have a path that isn't littered with dirt from their digging. I don't have a rock-lined flowerbed that isn't askew from their rooting around. My bulbs are always dug up and gasping in the sun when I arrive on Friday evenings. They make a mess.




  • Still no rain although it looked cloudy for a while on Friday and there was a 30% chance of rain on Saturday.


  • Poured orange oil and water in the beds in the Vegetable Garden to kill nematodes.


  • Watered.


  • Weeded.


  • Threw down hollyhock seeds in the Grass Garden that I brought from the garden in Houston.


  • Spent a lot of time watering in the Rose Garden with the hose. The roses are stressing. I deadheaded and fertilized in there as well.


  • Planted a flat of parsley in the Long Border.


  • Swam in the pool.


  • I have lots of baby arugula in the Vegetable Garden, so tender and flavorful. Made a nice salad for dinner Saturday night.


  • Didn't do much of anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment