Tuesday, November 13, 2012

A Weekend at the Farm November 11 - 12, 2012

Went to the lake on Saturday and spent Sunday and Monday in Burton.
  • Planted 6 Altheas in the Bulb Bed that I rooted from cuttings several months ago:  2 white singles (cut from a shrub in  my yard in Houston), 2 double lavenders (also from my yard in Houston), and 2 lavender singles with pink throats (from a shrub I saw growoing next to some aprtments on Westheimer).  It will be interesting to see if they survive the winter.  I had to work the soil pretty well - it was matted with cedar roots that form a thick mat.  Added compost as well.  Good luck, cuttings. I've done as much for you as could be expected. 
  • Pulled up all the okra in the Orchard.  Some of the stems were two inch thick, so pulling it up was quite a chore.  Bert helped me.
  • Pulled up the green beans in the Orchard.
  • Spread wildflowers in the beds where I pulled up the okra and the green beans.  I spread the Oklahoma / Texas mix from Wildseed Farms in the bed where the okra was growing.  I spread Johnny Jump Ups, Sublime Dark Blue Larkspur, Red Corn Poppies, and Corncockle in the bed where the green beans were growing.  
  • I also spread the Okla / Tx mix in the path next to the Rose Garden and on the outside of the Orchard fences.  My husband won't like that!  He hates when I plant in the spots where he mows.
  • I spread poppy seed around the Orchard and the outside of the Rose Garden.
  • I spread Corncockle, Larkspur, and Red Corn Poppies in half of Long Border closest to the arbor.  
  • Watered the shrubs.
  • I set up a trellis in one of the beds in the Star Garden and planted Singing the Blues Sweet Peas around it.  
  • I made two trellises out of long poles that I wrapped chicken wire around.  Last year I used tomato cages for my sweet peas to climb on, but those are too short.  The sweet peas want to climb about 6 feet, so this is my new idea.  I planted Old Spice around one trellis and I planted Perfume Delight around the other.  I will probably plant some more sweet peas.  I just love them.
  • I spread Johnny Jump Ups along the edges of several beds.  They are low growing cool season flowers that stay around until about June.  After that the weather is too hot for them.  Johnny Jump Ups are cheerful little flowers.  I love them.
  • I threw down some Indian Spring Hollyhock seeds in the Star Garden.  I don't know why.  I love holly hocks, but the rust problem makes them hopeless plants to grow. 
  • All my bulbs except for the Spanish Bluebells and the Corn Flags have begun to come up.  
  • I planted 4 artichoke plants in the Orchard.
  • Pulled up some more zinnias that were not looking good anymore.
  • Cut away the Pea Vine off the trellis in the Star Garden.  It never grew any pretty flowers.  Pea Vine doesn't grow true from seed.  Unfortunately they  are prolific re-seeders, and this year's vine was from last year's seed.  I will have to be diligent to pull up any seedlings I see next year.  I think I'll try Black Eyed Susan Vine on that trellis next year.  It is easy to grow from seed.
  • My husband cut away two branches from a cedar tree that was shading my new Peggy Martin rose.
  • I have lots of ideas for new beds.  I need soil and mulch!
  • The leaves are beginning to fall heavily.  I'll start mulching the leaves soon.  
  • Enjoyed the beautiful, perfect weather on Sunday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment