Monday, May 5, 2014

Weekend at the Farm May 3 - 5, 2014


The red poppies were so pretty this weekend.
Zelda's birthday party was this weekend in Austin.  We drove up on Saturday for the party and got home about 4:00.  Weather was wonderful, cool mornings and evenings.  Not too many more of those left this year.
  • Staked my Mock Orange.
  • Tied back the Ox Eye Daisies out of the way, but didn't cut them back because I want them to reseed.
  • Used my trombone sprayer to fertilize my camellias and the shrubs in the Greenhouse Garden.
  • Fertilized the the new gingers  and Toad Lilies in the Greenhouse Garden.  It's not good soil in those beds.  I just used dirt from the woods to fill those beds and added leaf mulch.  
  • Cut away greenery that was crowding my Cramoisier and around my Marie van Houtte.  
  • Made a watering check list of all my plants that are new this season, the ones that were new last season, and the ones that are in a place they don't receive much irrigation.  They will need special attention this summer, or they won't make it.  I water every one each weekend and mark them off my list.  If I didn't do it that way I would forget some.
  • Dug up a ginger and some Bluebells that were growing under a boardwalk that my husband built last winter.  Moved the ginger a few feet away and moved the Bluebells to the Shade Garden.
  • Planted the Bur Oak that my neighbor gave me near the Rose Garden.  They have amazing acorns - the biggest of all the oaks.  She brought me a basket of the acorns, and I fell in love with the little tree! I read that they do not start producing acorns until they are about 35 years old.  That brings to mind two questions:  will I still be alive when the tree produces acorns and how will I keep the tree from succumbing to one of the many things that can kill the tree (drought being the most obvious and most likely killer)  I have always thought that trees are the most intimidating plants to grow because they have such a long life span.  It is the definition of a contribution to the future, you are unlikely to ever enjoy the fruits of your labor.  You will be long gone before a tree is tall enough to provide shade for you.  Nevertheless, I have decided to make a Children's Garden.  I will plant a tree for each of my grandchildren and place a plaque at the base of each of the trees with their name and birth date.  I will start with a couple of Pecan trees at the bottom of the back yard near the Orchard.  I'm not sure what other trees I will plant.  I want them to be long-living trees, and I don't want small trees like crepe myrtles.  On the other hand I want them to be planted fairly close to each other so there is continuity in the garden - so trees with huge canopies won't be appropriate.  And it will be easier to keep them watered if they are near each other because a newly planted tree needs 7 gallons of water each week in order to get established, and I don't want to drag a hose hither and yon.  I would also like trees that are somewhat fast growing.  Some trees are inherently slow-growing specimens.  I will have to research trees.
  • Spent the whole weekend trying not to bruise or scratch my legs.  We are going on vacation to the Dominican Republic, and I don't want to be sporting a bunch of purple bruises!!
  • Both of my husband's children have babies, and their friends are all having babies as well.  Lots of precious darlings around, my arms are never empty.

No comments:

Post a Comment