Sunday, December 7, 2014

Day at the Farm December 7, 2014

 This is White By The Gate camellia.
This is Debutante camellia.

My mother in law went into the hospital the day we returned from Disney World.  She died on Wednesday, December 3.  She will be greatly missed.  She was a Christian Scientist, so we only had a small service for her at our home.  Family on both sides were in attendance. 

  • We drove to Burton on Saturday evening, we hadn't been there in two weeks.  All the leaves have fallen, the trees are bare.
  • I shredded leaves on Sunday morning and filled the back of the cub cadet with the leaves.  I mulched with the shreds in the Rose Garden.
  • The shredder stopped running after that.  We weren't able to get it started.  And all of a sudden it has a gasoline leak.  We loaded in on the trailer to haul it into the shop on Monday.  No more shredding for the rest of the day.
  • I drove over to one of the trails we lined with left over rocks from the house construction.  I picked them up and loaded them on the cub cadet.  I used them to line the flowerbeds at the front of the house. 
  • I spent a lot of time digging up Ox Eye Daisies in the Rose Garden paths and planted them in the front flower beds.  It should be pretty in the spring, and since they remain green all year long, it will be an improvement in those beds.
  • I started the project of breaking the large flowerbed in Max's Garden into smaller sections with paths.  I dug a path, and I used the soil to fill in a bed that my husband outlined with cedar last summer.  It remained empty all summer, I never filled it with soil.  Finally finished it!  And I planted three clumps of Ox Eye Daisies on one side of it.  Not sure what else I will put in it, but I'm considering red Firespike.  I have pink Firespike in the Shade Garden that I grew from cuttings that I took from my Houston Garden.  I also have the red variety growing in my Houston garden, so I could get some cuttings from it.  That is a cheap option.

No comments:

Post a Comment