Sunday, January 10, 2016

Day at the Farm January 10, 2016

 This is my new Joey avocado.  I have surrounded it with some cover to protect the green trunk until it develops some bark. 


Arrived Sunday morning.  Saturday I babysat the sweet Koy at the lake house while Josh and Amy went to tailgate and then attend the Texans playoff game.
  • Friday I took the day off and went to the Arbor Gate.  I was hoping to buy my fruit trees there so that I would not have to attend the annual fruit tree sale at Urban Harvest.  Those big fruit tree sales are a nuisance, if you can avoid them that's great.  You arrive an hour early and stand in line in the freezing cold just so you can get the best trees before they sell out.  Last year I went to the fruit tree sale with Bert and I bought a 3-in-1 apple tree.  That was worth it because you cannot find a 3-in-1 except at a fruit tree sale.  
  • I bought a Joey avocado tree.  Avocado trees are interesting.  The trunk has to be protected from the sun the first year or two because it is not woody for several years.  It is recommended that they be planted in pots the first year and protected from freezes.  I put mine in a pot in the Vegetable Garden in the shadiest location.  Then I drove 3 re-bars into the pots and tied a sheet around the re-bar with rubber bands.  If it does more than just dip below freezing this winter I will probably have to do more than that to protect it.
  • I also bought a Sugarcane Jujube  Jujubes are described as being similar to dates.  Sugarcane is considered to be one of the sweetest.  I planted the Jujube in the bed where the Sam Houston peach was planted.
  • Harvested rose hips.
  • Transplanted 10 or so clumps of Moss Verbena seedlings growing in the paths to various places in the Rose Garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment