Sunday, November 20, 2016

Weekend at the Farm November 19 - 20, 2016


I went to Blake's house on Saturday morning and took to Sam to Target.  We spent two hours looking at the toys and I bought him whatever he wanted.  Went to MacDonalds for a happy meal.  Charlie is adorable.  Arrived at the farm about 4:00, Bert was already there.  Drove to work on Monday morning from the farm.
  • Sunday morning I dawdled quite a bit getting up.  I didn't have much that I wanted to do.  
  • I gathered seed from my Philippine Lilies and spread it in the Shade Garden and the un-landscaped areas of the shady parts of the Star Garden.  
  • I pulled up two more big clumps of anisacanthus in the Star Garden.  I spread mulch around the edges of one area and seeded it with my wildflower seeds.  I spread compost over the second area and turned over the soil, then spread seed.
  • I raked the paths clean where I was working.  
  • Watered in the Rose Garden throughout the day.
  • I walked down to the Orchard around one o'clock and was surprised to see that all my salvia and zinnias had died from the cold we had last night.  I didn't think it had dropped below freezing, but sure enough everything was gone.  So I pulled up all the zinnias and salvias.  It took me about two hours.  I also ran the hose around my Jujube.  There were piles of dirt around the tree where voles had pushed it out to make room for their tunnels, so I figured they had taken up residence around the roots of my tree.  Sure enough, after the water ran for awhile my boots sunk down into the mud around my ankles.  So I mushed it down all around the tree.  The voles will go some place else, but hopefully someplace less destructive.  I threw a lot of the zinnias flower heads in the beds and the area behind the Orchard, but most of it I just threw into a trash heap.  I have a bunch of zinnia seeds that I bought this spring but never used.  I'd like fresh colors next year.
  • I sprayed fungicide on my roses right at dusk.

No comments:

Post a Comment