Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Daffodil Season Begins February 210, 2018


The paperwhites are the first daffodils to bloom.  My Ehrlicheer greenery took a hit during the 3 day freeze we had in January.  But the flowers are reliable as always.  I have moved a lot of the bulbs that used to be in this bed throughout last year, some of them were uprooted by armadillos and some of them I dug up.  I want to make room for other plants, and when the greenery starts to brown and die this bed looks really bad.  It takes about a month for the greenery to die.  So I started moving the bulbs to other places where they don't take center stage.  This flower bed is near the house and so it is very visible.



Below, these are Grand Primo paperwhites, the most famous of all the old Southern paperwhites.





Below, these are Ehrlicheers.




Below, Ehrlicheers again.




Below, these are the paperwhites I dug up from Nixon Lake Road.  They are very, very similar the Grand Primo, but their bloom time is slightly different.  The other greenery in the picture are my Philippine lilies starting to pop up.





Below, a closer look at the Nixon Lake paperwhites.





Below, another picture of Nixon Lake paperwhites.



And one more.




Below, I have to do some research to remember what the name of these little darlings are.




As you can see the flower bloom is below the top of the foliage.




These are the little dog-eared Narcissus Ordorous.




Below, this is Ice Follies.





Yet another variety - I think this is Trevithian, notice the flower holds its head above the foliage.




A close-up of the flower.




Ice Follies again.







No comments:

Post a Comment