Monday, December 24, 2018

At the Farm December 23-24. 2018

 This is Giant Ligularia.  It is a large, shade-loving plant with great big round leaves.  And in the fall it shoots up long stems and blooms these cheerful yellow flowers.  It will remain green through light freezes, but it will go dormant if there is a really harsh freeze.

We had the Bonassin Christmas at our Houston house, and Zelda, Henry, Oliver and Wes spent the night on Saturday.  We returned the children on Sunday morning and headed to the farm.  Spent the night and part of Christmas Eve day, then headed home for dinner at La Table with Mom, Dad, Nan and Bert.
  • Sunday evening I picked some mustard greens from the Vegetable Garden and we had them for dinner.  I love them.
  • Saturday I raked in the Vegetable Garden and weeded around my beets and parsnips.
  • I raked in the Star Garden for quite a while.  Dumped all the leaves in the Rose Edge bed. 
  • Watered in the Star Garden and the Rose Garden.  I can see that one of the hoses has a hole in it - no doubt a vole or a mouse - because a small puddle formed during the process of watering in the Star Garden.  We have some of the hoses buried shallowly to keep them from being eye sores.  This one will have to be replaced next weekend.
  • Watered around the shrubs and roses I transplanted last weekend.
  • Spread a wheelbarrow of mulch around an autumn sage that was about to become a weedy spot.  
  • I weeded in the Orchard.  I'm trying to eradicate dollar weed in the bed where the Jujube grows.  It's not easy.  I have lots of Coneflower seeded there, and I don't want dollar weed to overtake it.  
  • I spent lots of time walking around and admiring all my seedlings:  poppies, larkspur, tickseed, California poppies, Philippine lilies, so many wonderful beginnings.
  • Headed home about 2:00. 


No comments:

Post a Comment