Thursday, February 18, 2010

A Day at the Farm 02/17/10



New spring growth on my Coralberry (Symphoricarpus orbicularis). Coralberry is an an understory, small shrub. In the fall the underside of the branches are lined with purple berries.



Beautiful day! Sunny and cool.
  • Began fertilizing the fruit trees with cottonseed meal. Still need to fertilize the grapes, apples, blackberries, and cherries. It took a long time to weed around each tree and water-in the fertilizer. So I am only half finished. I need to spray dormant oil on my stone fruit. I will finish Friday.


  • Worked in the Rose Garden trying to mend some of the erosion from the heavy rains last week. My husband built a barrier across the front of the Rose Garden and Long Border that we hope will direct the water towards the woods rather than straight down the side of both gardens. But nature has a funny way of telling you what it wants to do rather than the opposite. We have probably created a new, equally destructive area of erosion. When you tug on a single thing in nature you pull the whole world.


  • I planted three Texas Native Barbados Cherries (Malpighia glabra) near the pool. Late summer bloomer with big red, shiny,edible berries in fall, evergreen if the winter is mild. I also planted a Sweet Olive (Osmanthus fragrans) next to the Greenhouse. Wonderful fragrance, one of my mother's favorites. Spring bloomer, evergreen.


  • Lots of things beginning to leaf out. So much to do to get ready for spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment