Sunday, February 28, 2010

A Day at the Farm 02/27-28-10

Beautiful weather both days.
  • Cleaned house on Saturday morning.
  • Parents visited on Saturday.
  • Planted some Southern Wood Fern in the Shade Garden.
  • Raked and shredded leaves with my super-duper leaf shredder. Used the leaves to mulch the azaleas and hydrangeas. That took all day Sunday.
  • Fertilized and watered the azaleas and hydrangeas.
  • Cut away dead brush in the Star Garden.
  • Laid down some crushed granite in the paths of my new beds around the Greenhouse. I made pretty good progress. It looks much better than the dirt that's there now. I'll probably do the same in the Star Garden.
  • Sowed seeds in lots of places - Verbena Bonariensis and Tidy Tips. I need a few more hoses to keep things watered. I have an ounce of Tidy Tips, that is thousands of seeds.
  • Looked at every little thing. So much is about to leaf out. And the Forsythia is about to bloom brilliant yellow flowers. One of the peach trees is about to bloom hot pink flowers. The other peach tree has not broken dormancy. That may be a problem since they need to cross-pollinate. Hmm, maybe I did some poor figuring on my selections. Too soon to tell.
  • I think it's time to feed the bees. In the late winter / early spring before the flowers start blooming, bees need to be fed sugar water. I will have to do that next Saturday.
  • The leaf cutter ants are starting to get really active. Time to do ant patrol. They love roses!

No comments:

Post a Comment