Tuesday, March 2, 2010

A Day at the Farm 03/02/10

Beautiful lettuces.

Cold and sunny.
  • I laid down more crushed granite in the paths by the Greenhouse. It really looks better so I'm going to put granite in the paths through the Star Garden next.


  • My husband made some more beds for me in the Grass Garden that define the path through the trees to the Rose Garden. So I started filling them in with soil and peat moss. These beds will probably not get great irrigation so peat moss is a must - very good water retention.


  • Checked on everything, lots of seeds sprouting. We will be getting a freeze this week but it is my guess that it will be the last one, and it will not be a sustained freeze. Almost time to plant tomatoes and corn. A few more weeks at the most.


  • I put some stands around my Sweet Peas so they can start growing upwards. They don't look too good, but I'm hoping that as the weather warms slightly they will put on lots of new growth.


  • I planted seven 'Easy Ned' Daylilies around the pool. They have strap-like yellow flowers, unusual daylily petals.


  • I planted three 'Winter Bee' Spanish Lavender (Lavandula stoechas 'Winter Bee') in the Long Border. These eventually get several feet wide and high, and they produce dark purple flowers. This plant is supposed to tolerate our hot and humid and cold and wet weather better than many of the lavender species.


  • I also planted five Gulf Coast Penstemons (Penstemon tenuis). This is a Texas native. There are half a dozen or so native Texas penstemons. This is a good one, it colonizes very easily. The flowers are purple.


  • Had some more soil delivered. The last load before summer starts.

No comments:

Post a Comment