Thursday, March 18, 2010

A Day at the Farm 03/18/10







This is my Lady Banks Rose in Houston, almost in full bloom. Lady Banks roses get huge. I use mine to cover up the air conditioning units in the backyard. It sprawls over an arbor that is built over the air conditioning units. The yellow variety, which I have, does not have a scent. The white variety has a nice smell. It is a very old fashioned plant and very long lived. A hundred year old plant is not unusual. It will do very well climbing into a tree or leaning over a building. The flowers are so beautiful.


What a perfect day. And I didn't do anything that required heavy lifting. I planted plants and just enjoyed the weather.
  • I planted four kinds of cannas, three corms each. Dawn Pink and Tropical Sunrise (peach flowers) were planted in the Long Border. Striped Beauty (a yellow canna with variegated leaves) was planted around the pool. Scarlet Wave (pink flowers) was planted at the entrance to the Orchard.




  • I planted 5 orange coneflowers Sundown Big Sky Series 'Evan Saul' in the Star Garden.




  • I planted 5 Tansy Tanacetum vulgare in the Hot Border. Tansy is a medicinal herb that can become very invasive if you're not careful. The native Americans used to rub the crushed leaves on their skin to prevent insect bites. It is an excellent ant, flea, and fly repellent. A yellow dye can be made from the flowers and a green dye can be made from the rhizomes.




  • I planted 9 Southern Wood Ferns in the Shade Garden.




  • I planted 2 flats of orange Impatiens 'Orange Dazzle' in the Infinity Garden.




  • I planted a flat of Forest Fire Salvia around the pool. This is a Salvia coccinea which is a heavy reseeder. That will be quite pretty.




  • It took me all day to plant all those things. But I'm a careful planter. I prepare the soil when I build the beds and then I prepare the soil again when I plant. It's time consuming.




  • Watered some areas. Lots more seeds sprouting!

No comments:

Post a Comment