Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A Day at the Farm 03/10/10

Gorgeous and huge "Sum and Substance" Hosta emerging from dormancy. Sum and Substance will ultimately grow up to five feet wide. It is one of the biggest hostas.


What a pretty day. It's already getting hot, though!
  • I sprayed all my roses with a systemic fungicide to control black spot. I fertilized the roses that I did not fertilize on Monday.
  • I pulled lots of weeds in the Rose Garden. The next time I go to the farm I will be spraying herbicide everywhere to get rid of weeds - the driveway, the paths, around the pool. Things are really weedy. But herbicides don't work when it's cold. Now that it's warm I'm going to zap everything. I'm also going to lay down a "weed and feed" in the yard everywhere.
  • I planted tomatoes. I planted five Celebrity, a yellow tomato called Jubilee, a Grape tomato, a yellow and red striped tomato called Pineapple, and a Yellow Pear tomato (which is a mini tomato. I also planted two Ichibahn eggplants and some Ambrosia F1 Cantaloupe. I planted the cantaloupe in the bed just outside of the Vegetable Garden, and I will try to train it along the rabbit wire. Cantaloupe will climb. I will need to support the melons by tying them up in stockings. I also planted Burpless cucumbers to climb up the arbor. And along the arbor I also planted some Hyacinth Bean seeds - the beans are edible and the vines are very decorative with purple flowers and pods! The beans are beautiful - dark purple with a white strip on one side. Unusual. I also planted some marigolds throughout the Vegetable Garden in order to deter nematodes.
  • I planted some "Limerock Dream" Coreopsis and "Strawberry Seduction" Yarrow around the pool. I love yarrow. It's very old fashioned and the leaves are very lacy-looking.
  • In the Long Border I planted some Verbena Bonariensis, "Cerise Queen" Yarrow, and "Butterfly Blue" Scabiosa. The Cleome seeds I sowed are popping up. Yeah!
  • In the Herb Garden I planted basil.
  • In the Infinity Garden I planted some Hyssop.
  • Vacuumed the house.
  • Did some watering.


No comments:

Post a Comment