Sunday, January 23, 2011

A Weekend at the Farm Jan 22-24 2010



Images of the farm in winter. I have started pruning the roses. I need to spray herbicide in the paths, but it's so cold. Herbicide doesn't work well when the temperature is below 60 degrees. Most of the green in the paths is poppies. Too bad, they will all have to die.
In the picture above: I am building a path next to the Long Border. It's a bit more inviting.

I tried to take it easy this weekend. I had an emergency appendectomy last weekend - I guess all appendectomies are emergencies... Saturday and Sunday were beautiful.. What do other people do all weekend? I spend all day outside on the weekends and enjoy the gorgeous outdoors. Do most people sit inside and watch tv? I couldn't do it!
  • I pruned 18 roses shrubs this weekend. I have about 30 more to prune! Plus I have to prune the fruit trees and grape vines. There's always a lot to do during the winter months.
  • I prepared the two long beds in the Vegetable Garden - about 30 feet - by mixing in mushroom compost and wood ashes, and I planted peas.
  • I pulled dead vines off of the arbor in the Vegetable Garden so that the peas can climb.
  • I watered the plants in The Greenhouse.
  • I adjusted the sprinklers. We had turned everything off and drained all the water from all the hoses because of the hard freeze we had a couple of weeks ago. Last year when we had the hard freeze that lasted several days, several of the faucets burst and the water ran freely until we discovered it. I didn't want that to happen again.
  • My husband and I took a walk through the woods on Sunday. We went off the roads and went through the untouched woods. We found a water hole. I don't know if it will stay wet through the summer. We'll check during the hot months.
  • Came home early on Sunday and bought a seed starter kit. Planted herb seeds.


No comments:

Post a Comment