Sunday, January 2, 2011

A Day at the Farm 12/31

The bulbs above are Ipheion "Wisley Blue'. They are tiny bulbs with pale blue flowers. Their common name is Star Flower.

The bulbs above are Allium neopolitanum. The common name is Naples Garlic. They have a a white cluster of tiny flowers /they multiply rapidly.


Above are Hoop Petticoat daffodils (the thin leaves) and Ipheion 'Rolf Fielder' just beginning to emerge from the ground.

Warm day. Arrived Thursday evening and went home on Friday to spend New Years Eve with the family.



  • Spent the whole day raking and shredding leaves and spreading the mulch.

  • Picked lots of broccoli and cauliflower to take home with me.

  • Watered the plants in the greenhouse.

  • Inspected all the things popping up. I love this time of year. Wildflowers and bulbs are preparing for spring. All the winter bloomers are in full bloom. The summer has been put to bed and all those plants are brown. But they are quietly waiting for spring as well.

  • Soon it will be time to prune the fruit trees, the wisteria, and the roses. I will probably take some time off from work to do all of that. I will need several days for that chore.

  • In mid January I will plant peas. The seeds should be planted about 6 weeks before the last frost. In my area that is March 1.

  • I plan to begin expanding my herb garden over the next several weekends.

No comments:

Post a Comment