Monday, April 23, 2012

A Weekend at the Farm April 21-22, 2012


I thought we would have had some rain when we arrived on Friday evening because the weather was moving east and we got a lot of it in Houston.  But there was no rain in the gauge.
  • I spent hours pulling up the dead poppies and pouring seeds into gallons baggies.  By Sunday I was tired of the whole process and was just throwing them into my red wheelbarrow and dumping them in piles around the perimeter of the property.  The important thing was to keep the billions of seeds from falling into the flower beds as best I could.
  • I planted 4 Agastache 'Acapulco Orange' in Max's Garden. 
  • I planted 4 Bee Balm in the Long Border. 
  • My perennial Ageratum is blooming in the Long Border!  I'm excited about that.  I pulled up plants that are growing around it so that it won't be choked out.  I wasn't aggressive enough, I should have pulled up more.  It's the Verbena Bonariensis that is running rampant throughout the Long Border.  And the Tickseed is pretty thick too.
  • I dug up the last of the Yukon gold potatoes.  I cooked some of them in a stew.  Homegrown potatoes really do taste better than the ones in the grocery store.
  • Weeded in the Vegetable Garden.
  • Sprayed herbicide around the flowerbed borders in the Star Garden.
  • Sprayed fungicide on the Hollyhocks.
  • Spread Nicotiana seed in the Infinity Garden that I collected from the plants going to seed.
  • Planted 25 Oxalis 'Iron Cross' in Max's Garden.
  • The plums and peaches are growing larger!  A few of the blackberries are turing reddish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment