Monday, October 21, 2013

Weekend at the Farm October 19-20 2013

It was so beautiful this weekend.  The weather was perfect.  I went up alone on Friday evening, and my husband joined me Saturday evening.
  • The dogs and I went to The Antique Rose Emporium on Saturday morning.  It was a very pleasant outing just walking around their display gardens.  Everything was in bloom and the butterflies were thick.  I bought a Cramoisi Superieur which I have been wanting for awhile.  It is a red rose, and it is supposed to be a good bloomer.  I also bought a Horsetail Plant for my Herb garden.  Horsetail is very pretty, but it is also a medicinal herb.  Historically, horsetail has been used to stop bleeding, repair broken bones and as an herbal remedy for arthritis.  Horsetail contains silicic acid, saponins, flavonoids, sterols, tannins, potassium, aluminum salts, manganese, magnesium, sulfur and calcium.
  • I planted the rose shrub in the Rose Garden and the Horsetail in the Infinity Garden.
  • Raked pine needles up around a tree near the Rose Garden and mulched a half dozen boxes in the Rose Garden.  Pine needles make good mulch high in nitrogen.  And it's free.  Then I drove over to Ray and Debra's road because it is situated next to the edge of our property.  I raked up pine needles around the pine trees growing next to their road.  I mulched the Bulb Bed.
  • Dug up some Spider Lilies to give to Janine Snapp.  I reset a bunch of them as well.  I planted some around a cedar tree in the Circle Drive.  And I thinned out some clumps.
  • Pulled up lots of zinnias that were flopped over into the paths.  Cut back blackberry vines with the hedge shears.  Sprayed herbicide.  Pretty weedy.
  • Sowed Chicory and Purple Tansy seed that my mother-in-law got me for my birthday.  Turned the soil over at the far end of the Long Border and sowed seed.  Also spread some seed in the bed by the Pink Vitex and in some sections of the Star Garden where nothing is growing.
  • Picked up lots of Bluebells that had been uprooted by some varmint and replanted them.
  • Cleaned the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment