Monday, October 28, 2013

Weekend at the Farm October 26 - 27, 2013

Movie with Josh Friday night.  Shopping with Blake on Saturday.  To the farm Saturday evening.  One and a quarter inch of rain Sunday night.  Stayed Sunday and went to work Monday morning straight from the farm.
  • Cleared some more of the land across from the house.  We're making progress.  I can't believe I thought it would only take five or six days of work to get the whole area cleared.  It's taken a lot more than that!  
  • I dug up some gingers from the back yard in Houston.  I planted the gingers in the Medicine Garden.  It's pretty shady there.
  • I also dug up a clump of bulbs from the yard in Houston.  They have never bloomed, at least not in my memory.  I don't even know what they are since I haven't seen any flowers.  After I separated all the bulbs (they were crowded and stuck together in a mass of roots) there were more than 50.  I planted some of them in the newest bed in the Infinity Garden.  I planted some next to the bulbs that I dug up on Nixon Lake Rd.  I planted some of them underneath the Bermuda's Kathleen rose and around the tree in the Rose Garden.
  • Moved some Columbine seedlings that were growing in the path.  I moved them into the bed where the Ligularia is growing.
  • Spent a long time in the Rose Garden deadheading.
  • I pulled up one of the Mexican Sunflower plants that fell over under its own.  I gathered a bunch of the seed heads, and I am drying them out to plant next summer.
  • We moved some cedar logs around the Rose Garden to define a path leading into the garden and a path to the arbor entrance at the Long Border.  It created a large area that I will seed with wildflowers.  I loosened some of the soil and seeded part of the area with Purple Tansy. 
  • Planted 8 creeping Winter Savory in the Infinity Garden.  It is a perennial herb, and I'm hoping it will spread and cover up some bare spots.
  • I planted 3 cabbage plants - one Early Jersey and two Veronica Romanesco in the Vegetable Garden.  

No comments:

Post a Comment