Sunday, September 11, 2016

Weekend at the Farm September 10-11, 2016

More pink Oxblood lilies popped up since we were here last weekend.

We went to Henry's 3rd birthday party on Saturday and went to Burton after that.

  • Sunday morning the first thing I did was spray fungicide on my roses.  The rose garden looks so good, I don't want black spot showing up and ruining everything.  Thanks to all the August rains the roses are blooming and all the zinnias, moss verbena, homestead purple verbena, Candida rain lilies, and oxblood lilies are blooming alongide them.  So pretty.  And nearby in the Long Border the salvia, ageratum, zinnias, cannas and anise hyssop are blooming .  Everything looks lush and green, so hard to believe in early September.  Usually everything is emerging from exhaustion due to a dry hot August.  I did a little weeding (not much required), raked and sprayed herbicide on the paths.
  • Weeded and laid down two wheel barrows of mulch in the Long Border.  Looks good!
  • Drove one truck load of mulch down to the Orchard (the last of my 15 yards, so sad) and spread it across the last bed.  It didn't quite cover the whole things, but I'm calling it done.  The Orchard looks wonderful, weed-free and blooming - zinnias, moss verbena, amaranth and anise hyssop.  Sprayed herbicide in the spots that I missed last weekend.
  • I sprayed herbicide on the driveway, in the Shade Garden, the Greenhouse Garden, the Vegetable Garden, the Medicine Garden, the Star Garden, and along fence lines.  I have to stay ahead of the weeds as we come into cooler weather.  Herbicide doesn't work in cold weather.  Once it's cold the weeds just stay there and look ugly.
  • I mulched around and between the five La Marne roses along the driveway.  They were covered with morning glory vines, so I cut away and pulled off all the vines and pulled up the vines so they wouldn't grow back.  I forgot to fertilize them, so I will have to do that next week. 
  • I spent some time in the Vegetable Garden staking amaranth and pulling of Tabasco pepper plants.  They reseed like crazy, and I have about 20 growing in the beds.  I pulled morning glory vines off my Joey Avocado tree.  I also pulled some weeds, but I didn't do much else, too hot.
  • My Cardinal Climber, Cypress vine and white Coral vine are all blooming.  My mother gave me the Coral vine.  It is a fall bloomer (most vines are best in the fall because they spend the spring and summer establishing all their growth) and I love the pretty white flowers.  They remind me of a wedding bouquet.
  • Everything looks really pretty.  The Star Garden is in full bloom too - cannas, ageratum, roses, zinnias, rain lilies, salvia, purple lantana, butterfly weed, and althea.
  • Watered the pots around the pool.
  • I cut away all the dead debris from the Montbretia bulbs that I dug up last week and didn't plant.  I'm storing them (about 50 bulbs) in a basket in the house until I can figure out where to plant them.
  • I notice that some of my Russel Manning rain lilies were above ground and exposed, probably they multiplied on top of each other and got pushed out of the soil.  I gathered them up and replanted them in two of the beds in the Rose Garden.
  • We left late - about 6:00, I didn't want to leave because everything looked so pretty.


No comments:

Post a Comment