Thursday, January 5, 2017

Day at the Farm January 2, 2017


Arrived in the evening.  Bert was already here.  Stayed on Monday and drove into town on Tuesday morning.  Fever and cough, but I powered through it.
  • The cub cadet won't start, and it's not the battery.  I helped Bert push it up into the trailer so he could drive it into town.  
  • We have had at least one hard freeze, and all the vegetation is brown.
  • In the morning I raked up some pine needles and filled the big wheel barrow with them.  I was going to push it down the hill and cover a spot in the Orchard, but I couldn't get up the energy to do it.
  • I cut back a bunch of dead canna vegetation and dumped it in the woods. Did some general cleanup in the Star Garden.
  • I dug out the morning glory tree in the Star Garden because it is so unruly and the branches lean out into the walking paths.  I think I stuck the root ball into the ground somewhere, but I can't remember where since I am writing this a week after I did it.  I replaced it with a white-flowering sweetshrub called Venus that has been growing in a shady spot in the Medicine Garden for about two years.  It will get more sun, and it has a better growth habit. 
  • I watered my newly planted Baleria.
  • In the afternoon I wheeled the pine needles down to the Orchard and mulched along the grape arbor.
  • Several hundred of my daffodils are up and there are already a few paperwhites blooming.  The 500 I planted recently will take a while longer before they emerge, new plantings always take a while. 
  • Grey kitty did not show up all weekend, I feared he was lost or had moved on since we had not gone to Burton throughout the long holiday season.  But Bert said he showed up on Tuesday morning after I left to drive in to town.

No comments:

Post a Comment