Saturday, October 14, 2017

Country Girl Mum October 10, 2017

I just bought these two plants.  I have some growing in the Rose Garden which I planted two summer ago, but I took a picture of these because the ones in the Rose Garden need staking, and I haven't gotten around to it yet.  Country Girl is a very old-fashioned variety.  When fall rolls around it send up two feet tall stems with flowers that branch out from there. The new chrysanthemum varieties are very compact.  Country Girl spreads by underground stolons, and it stays green all year which means it makes a pretty decent ground cover in the spring, summer and winter.  In the fall it starts its growing spurt and the low-growing ground cover starts to get more lush and full.  Then the flower head branches shoot up.  The flowers are very, very pale purple.  In the bottom picture you can see that these are new plants, they have not begun spreading yet, but when I pulled them out of the pots I gently spread the little green shoots out all around the mother plant to get them started.


No comments:

Post a Comment