Saturday, October 14, 2017

Swamp Sunflower October 13, 2017

I got my start of  Swamp Sunflower many years ago at the Mercer Arboretum plant sale.  It starts out as an innocent little rosette of leaves each year, but by the fall it is an eight foot tall monster that can't support its own weight.  It always ends up flopping over and getting in the way.  I haven't figured out where to put it.  Last spring, completely done with having it in the Long Border, I dug up some clumps of it and moved it to an empty bed in The Orchard where I thought it could really stretch.  I pulled up a lot of it the Long Border but allowed a couple of plants to remain - I'm sentimental that way.  Now it is a nuisance in both places!  And beware, it sets a lot of seed in addition to being a perennial.  Despite its name, it doesn't have to have a lot of water, but I haven't tested to see if it is drought tolerant.






No comments:

Post a Comment