Monday, March 5, 2018

Southern Crabapple Flowers March 4, 2018

Last year I was thrilled when I had a single bloom on my little crabapple tree after years of nothing.  This year it is covered in buds.  I'm very happy to see my crabapple tree finally begin to take off. I am hoping that the tail-end of its bloom time will coincide with my Fuji tree which hasn't even broken dormancy yet.  Fuji is not appropriate for our climate, but I planted it before I understood the importance of chill hours.  Now my Fuji is a huge tree, and it will be very difficult to get rid of.  Crabapple can be used to cross-pollinate with apple trees.  If crabapple stays in bloom long enough to pollinate Fuji then I don't have to get rid of Fuji.  I hope that works out!  Crabapple flowers are very pretty and they smell very sweet.



No comments:

Post a Comment