Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Weekend at the Farm March 17 - 18, 2018

The first Tickseed flower of the season.

  • All I did Friday afternoon when I arrived was walk around and around and around.
  • Saturday I started straightaway in the Vegetable Garden.  I sowed my corn seed in three rows in the new bed. Some sort of Super Sweet variety (genetically modified - I'm a terrible person!).  I planted Sarah's Choice cantaloupe seeds on the trellis.  I sowed Sunburst patty pan squash here and there throughout the garden.  And finally, I prepared the bed (the only bed that had not had compost added) and sowed Dragon's Tongue beans.  So, this year in the Vegetable Garden I have growing: potatoes, 1015 onions, asparagus, beans, cantaloupe, eggplants, bell pepper, corn, and tomatoes, dill and fennel.  And flowers.  Later I swung back through there and sowed some Autumn Beauty sunflowers and some bird house gourd vines.
  • This will be the first spring vegetable garden I've grown since we cleared the land adjacent to the Vegetable Garden.  So it has much more sun exposure.  And I composted really well.  So I'm hoping for some good results.
  • I planted an aloe vera plant in a pot in the Medicine Garden. 
  • I planted a cinnamon basil plant in a pot in the Star Garden and spread mulch across the top of  it.
  • In the Star Garden I planted two Golden Greek oregano in the old sink that Ray and Debra gave me.
  • I planted 4 Max Frei soapwort in the Orchard.  Whenever I see small containers of plants that I want to grow, I snap them up.  Less expensive.  If you haunt the nurseries like I do you will come upon good deals.  This was a good deal.  I was able to buy four soapworts for the price of one.  They usually sell them in much bigger containers.
  • I planted a Berggarten sage in the Kitchen Herb Garden.
  • I FINALLY sprayed herbicide around the whole place except the driveway.  And now that I am thinking about it, I think I missed the path along the Long Border.  The paths throughout the whole place were incredibly weedy and driving me crazy, but it's been too cool to bother with it. Got that knocked out. 
  • I spread horse manure around the La Marne roses. 
  • Spread horse manure around my Eve's Necklace tree just outside the Star Garden and watered it really well.
  • Sunday.  I spent about 2 hours cleaning out the Shade Garden.  That consisted up picking up dead winter vegetation (gingers) and snapping all the dead braches off the Snake root.  Snakeroot branches are brittle and thin, so easy to snap.  But it takes time because there are a lot of them.  Cut back the Firespike.  Pruned the Beautyberries.  I wanted to clean out the Shade Garden before the Spanish bluebells and the azaleas bloom so that they show to their best advantage.
  • I mulched around the Milk and Wine crinum bed. 
  • I mulched the Bear Breeches bed. 
  • I spent a lot of time painstakingly weeding and mulching in the long bed in the Star Garden.  I pulled up lots of the Tickseed that I had patiently been nursing along all winter that ultimately was the reason the flowerbed got so weedy.  And then I ended up pulling it all up before it bloomed!  I do that every year, why don't I learn??
  • I sowed Cup and Saucer vine seeds in the bed that surrounds the old dead tree in the Rose Garden. I've never tried them before.  We hung and wrapped an old box spring around the tree last weekend.  It looks very interesting.  So I have planted some seeds underneath it.  I bought some Heavenly Blue morning glory seeds to plant in that bed as well as the bed under the goat wire arbor at the entrance to the Long Border.  But I didn't sow the morning glories.  I'll do it next weekend. 
  • Finally, I planted 2 Mystic Spires salvia in the Star Garden.
  • Drove in to work on Monday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment