Sunday, June 10, 2018

My Paw Paw Tree Has Born Fruit June 10, 2018

Well, I am shocked / stunned / thrilled that my Paw Paw tree has fruit on it!  I can hardly believe it.  I have read in many books that the Paw Paw is not self-fruitful, and yet here it is with fruit on it.    Actually, one native expert told me that it is self-fruitful, but so many other authorities indicated it is not that I discounted his contention.  So either there is another Paw Paw nearby which I doubt (it is not native to this area) or it is in fact self-fruitful.  The fruit in these pictures are just babies, the paw paw fruit gets very large.  Fun facts about the Paw Paw.  It is the larval food of the Zebra Swallowtail, the only plant the Zebra will lay eggs on.  It is the only citrus that is native to North America.  The fruit is said to taste like banana custard.  George Washington loved paw paw.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment