Sunday, August 19, 2018

Snake in the Bucket August 19, 2018

We are getting the back path re-done with decompose granite while the guys are here to lay down the decomposed granite under the arbor (which we just had "straightened up" because it was leaning under the weight of the wisteria).  The armadillos are wreaking such havoc on the beds adjacent to the path, and therefore throwing soil all over the path, that I decided to make things difficult for them.  I mean, what's the use of getting pretty new paths of crushed granite only to have the cursed armadillos throwing dirt all over them before we have even paid the workers!  So, I got my wire snips, lots of chicken wire (that I have accumulated over the years for this very reason), a hammer, and my bucket of stakes (also accumulated over the years for the same reason).  Remembering the wasp nests that were in that very bucket several weeks ago when we cleaned out the Greenhouse, I kicked the bucket - prepared to run like hell.  No response, so I grabbed the bucket and all the other tools and carried them to my work area.  Goal:  Mulch, then lay down chicken wire and stake it into the ground with the stakes.  I was very nearly finished with the job when I reached into the bucket again and saw the snake!  It wasn't a copperhead, so Bert threw the bucket on the lawn to make it exit the bucket, and then he shooed it out of the area.  It was a bit of a heart stopper as any incident is where you stick your hand in a bucket 20 times before you see a snake curled at the bottom of it.   Very passive snake - it remained coiled at the bottom despite being kicked, carried and jostled.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment