Sunday, August 26, 2018

Weekend at the Farm August 25, 2018

This is Mello Yellow Hibiscus.

Charlie was with us this weekend.  Blake went to Chicago to visit a friend, and Mr. H and Sam had boy-time.  Charlie and I swam and took lots of walks, drove around in the cadet, played in mud, played in the sprinkler, and climbed into the fort and played.
  • When he was napping I a had a little time to do some work.
  • I weeded in the Star Garden.  I cut the seed heads off my Giant Rudbeckia and spread them in the big bed with the Satsuma.  After I gathered the seed I cut down the stalks and hauled them away.  Pulled up crab grass.
  • Watered in the Rose Garden Saturday and Sunday. We are almost through with the challenge of July and August.  September is bad, but the days are shorter and therefore plants get a break.  I deadheaded zinnias, spread the seed, pulled weeds and generally straightened up.  
  • I think this fall I'm going to re-do the decomposed granite in the Rose Garden and the Star Garden. I'm dreading it, but it needs it.  The last time I repaired the Star Garden was right before Josh's wedding, and I don't think I've ever done the Rose Garden.  It looks pretty sad.
  • The butterflies are out in force.  Mostly Giant Swallowtails, the blue and black iridescent ones, and Gulf Fritillaries.  A few long tails as well.  September is the biggest month for sheer variety.  I have some really new, blooming stands of zinnias right now, and four or five stands of zinnias that will be blooming in a couple of weeks.  So, I'm ready for them.  The milkweed is blooming, but I've seen no Monarchs for quite a while. 
  • I spent a little time in the Orchard (another area that needs crushed granite repair) weeding after I spread the Giant Rudbeckia seed.
  • The seeds I ordered from Wildseed Farms arrived.  I ordered some for the gardens and some for the meadow.  I ordered the following:
  • 1 pound of Texas/Oklahoma mix
  • 1 pound of Red Drummond Phlox
  • 1 pound of Tall Poppy Mallow
  • 1 pound of Moss Verbena
  • 1 pound of Standing Cypress
  • Quarter pound of Bluebonnets
  • 1 ounce of Larkspur
  • 1 ounce of Corn Poppy
  • Quarter pound of Purple Coneflower.

No comments:

Post a Comment