Saturday, April 6, 2024

At the Farm March 28 - 31, 2024

 


I met Bert up here on Thursday evening.  Friday is a holiday.  We drove home early Easter Sunday morning and had brunch with the Big six and Max and family.

Friday.  I picked up Deb at 8:00 and we drove to Sandtown and dug up some Prairie Indian Plantain.  I put one clump in the wet bed by the Dining Room and two clumps under a Mexican Buckeyes in Mom's Garden.  We found some Engelmann Daisy and dug some up.  I planted mine in the Rose Garden.  And I finally dug up some wild penstemon after all these years and planted it in the Meadow.

Beautiful spring day.  

I weeded in the Vegetable Garden, thinned out the squash and zucchini, cut away marigolds that were too close to the veggies.  I pulled a feed bucket of soil into the path of a sprinkler so that I could plant my marjoram, but I got distracted and wandered away from that chore.

I cleaned out the Mountain Laurel bed in the Star Garden of all the Purple Phacelia and put the seed in a sack for Debra.  I mulched around my Amsonia that I planted last year.  I turned over some compost into the soil and planted 3 of a different variety of Amsonia - Arkansas Blue Star.  I am so damn excited about it!  In the adjacent bed I planted another one.  

I worked on the pots by the pool.  I potted several new Mangaves and a Senecio variety.  I put trays under them and spent time arranging them.  I have several more to plant and a couple need to be changed out of their pots.  

Headed to Los Patrones about 1:45 to meet with Ann, Richard and Michael to discuss our NPSOT plant sale.

Back outside after that.  I planted 4 sweet marjoram in a feed bucket in the Vegetable Garden.  I also planted an interesting plant that I got at the plant swap, can't remember the name and a New Gold lantana.

Saturday.  I did some weed eating in the Meadow where rescue grass was going to seed.  I also cut down some yaupon along the trail.

I dug out all the Henry Duelberg in the bed that was part of the original Star Garden.  It got too big for its britches.  I potted some of it up and put it in the Vegetable Garden and dumped the rest in the Meadow.  I added compost to the large area that I cleared out, and sowed zinnias.

Cleared weeds out of lots of bed here and there throughout the gardens.  It was a lot of sticking my hand near areas where I couldn't see what was underneath, I hate that because of my fear of snakes.

I have one bed in the Circle Drive where the Virginia Creeper is forming a beautiful ground cover.  As I planned.  I love it when a plan comes to together.  And the Virginia Creeper in the Shade Garden is coming along, it doesn't look as purposeful as the little bed, but it's getting there.  Yay.

There are lots of bearded iris in bud.  They are so beautiful.  I look forward to their fantastical blooms every year.

I spent time in the Water Garden digging out yarrow away from my Texas Kidneywood, white milkweed, and my Mrs James Hendry crinums.  It has really take over.  I left the rest since it is thick with bloom stalks. 

I finished planting the Arkansas Amsonia.  I cleared out a bed in the Rose Garden and planted 4 of them plus a seedling of another kind of Amsonia that Ann gave me at lunch the day before.  I put in a New Gold lantana nearby in the same bed.  I put several more in the Mountain Laurel bed in the Star Garden and several next to the dwarf flowering almond shrubs (that have never really impressed me).



   




  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment