Sunday, April 14, 2024

Weekend at the Farm April 12 - 14, 2024

 


I staked several clumps of flowers leaning into Paths in the Star Garden.

I sowed lots of Cosmos seed in the Star Garden

I potted up a Colonia White verbena for the plant swap, it's not native, but it has a storied past.  George Washington grew it at Mount Vernon and wrote about it in his plant journals.

Saturday.  Spent all day at the Antique Rose Emporium for the NPSOT NICE program engaging with their customers about planting natives.

Did nothing after that, I was kind of tired, plus I have never been able to jump into garden work halfway through the day when it is already hot.

Sunday.  Up early.  I helped Bert repair the tri-pod in the Rose Garden that holds up my once-blooming climber (can't come up with the name at this moment).  The tri-pod fell over  in the high winds we had last week.

I worked in the apple bed in the Orchard.  I turned over the soil, cleaned out the bed, and sowed lots of cosmos and zinnia seeds.  I pulled up lots of Brown Eyes while doing it.  But I have a terrific display of Brown Eyes coming in May down there, and I can spare a bed. Weeded while I was down there.  Did some clean-up.  I'm trying to get that garden under control before the dog days of June and the mean dog days of July, August and September.  

I potted up 10 4 inchers and sowed Alamo Vine seed for the plant sale.  Also collected some for Michael.

I planted a Carolina Buckthorn in the Boardwalk Gardens.  

I planted a Martha Gonzales rose in a bucket in the Rose Garden.  Weeded a bit while I was there. 

I sowed the Rattlesnake Master seeds that Michael gave me.  I sowed them under the shade of a Mexican Buckeye.

Lastly, I planted an Asclepias tuberosa next to the other ones I planted  a few days ago.  And I planted an Asclepias incarnata in the wet bed near the button bush.



No comments:

Post a Comment