Monday, November 15, 2010

A Weekend at the Farm 11/14-15/2010

Pretty Purple Globe Basil

First playoff game on Friday night, bridal shower for a cousin on Saturday, came to the farm alone on Sunday morning and stayed through Monday. It was a gray and cool couple of days. The sun never appeared. There was a half inch in the rain gauge when I arrived and we got another quarter inch before I left. That's good! We need rain.
  • Focused a lot of time spreading the last of my seeds (Tuber Vervain, Larkspur, Corn Poppies, and Strawflower) and pegging down chicken wire. Lots of seed have already sprouted. I sowed a lot of seed along the line of the woods just beyond the shed. My husband will not be pleased - I won't let him mow that area until after they finish blooming. Threw lots of seed in The Orchard, The Rose Garden, The Star Garden, The Long Border, and the new beds lining the path down to The Orchard.
  • Put suet out for the birds.
  • Put tomato cages over my sweet peas in The Orchard to give them something to climb on. I planted them on both sides of the entrance. Last year the rabbits ate them to the ground. I'm trying again.
  • The leaves have barely started to drop, but everything is starting to look a little messy. The nut sedge has turned brown and all manner of green weed has appeared in the "lawn". There are acorns everywhere, every path and walkway. I'll have to begin the labor intensive work of raking soon.
  • Buried some more oranges in the boxes of the Vegetable Garden that don't have anything growing. Usually I fill every raised box in the garden with veggies, this year I was more restrained so that I save room for early spring peas.
  • Took a nap. Wonderful!
  • Watched old movies.
  • Adjusted the sprinklers run times again.
  • Left around noon on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment