Sunday, October 23, 2011

A Weekend at the Farm 10/22-23/2011

Beautiful weather, but no rain unfortunately. It clouded up on Sunday morning, but nothing happened. Drove to the farm directly from work and forgot my camera at home, so I used my phone to take these pictures.


  • My husband began building a fence around the side yard. This is very exciting to me because it will keep the armadillos and rabbits out. It is not tall, but it doesn't need to be tall. Two boards and some rabbit wire is all I need. He got the fence completely built, only the rabbit wire on half of it is left undone. A lot of work! It will need to be painted. I will do that in a few weeks. Pictures below.

  • Planted (almost) the last of the fall vegetable garden. Still need some 1015 onions. Planted 3 Savoy Ace cabbage and 3 Early Round Dutch cabbage - that's a lot of cabbage for a non-cabbage eater! Planted a Cardoon Gigante. Cardoon is a very pretty plant, similar to artichoke. Deeply notched leaves and silver colored. It's a perennial. The flowers are edible. Planted some mustard greens. What can I say? I'm from the south. Collards and mustard greens, is there anything better?

  • The garlic is already popping up - so cute!

  • Planted 4 perennial Creeping Marjoram in the Infinity Garden and 4 cilantro in the Herb Garden.

  • Worked in the Infinity and the Herb Gardens cutting away dead debris, mixing in some compost. Raked the Infinity Garden. Looks much better. Debris is always falling from the trees.

  • Raked the Rose Garden.

  • Weeded, weeded, weeded. Getting rid of the last of the summer weeds and watching the cool weather weeds start to show up...

  • Planted some Allysum seeds.

  • Planted some Sweet Delight and Sweet Dream Sweet Peas in the Orchard and the Wave Garden. Surrounded them with chicken wire staked to the ground.

  • Planted some Fordhook Giant Hollyhocks in the Orchard and surrounded them with chicken wire. Rabbits love sweet peas and hollyhocks.

  • Watered various plants. Next summer I will have to rig up something more effective for the Greenhouse gardens. Water coverage is poor.

  • Tired of the moles! We bought some poison pellets. I came upon a mole as he was pushing dirt out of a hole, the little bastard. I poured some poison pellets down the hole and covered it up with a rock (per the instructions). I feel kind of sad about poisoning the little creatures, but they wreak havoc on the root systems of my plants. I never dreamed, when we built this house, how much of a battle I would be waging against nature! Armadillos, Leafcutter Ants, Moles, Rabbits, and Deer.

  • Worked a long time in the Star Garden. I cut back lots of Fireworks Gomphrena that had absolutely gone insane! You couldn't walk on the paths because it completely covered them. I cut off many of the seed heads and I am drying them on a cookie sheet. I cleared away Prairie Aster that was crowding the bearded iris. I cleared out verbena that was dead. Looks much better.

  • Had the neighbors over for dinner Saturday evening. After dinner we sat in the screened-in porch in rocking chairs and enjoyed the beautiful evening.

  • Debra (our neighbor) brought me over a cutting of double pink Althea she had rooted. A treasure! I'm excited about it.
I will paint the fence forest green in a couple weeks.

Armadillos can dig under the fence, but they have to really want what's inside to go to the trouble.


I have a lot of painting to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment