Sunday, November 6, 2011

A Weekend at the Farm 11/5-6/2011

Hard to believe, but we had a hard freeze in Burton! It happened a full month earlier than the average first freeze date. All my vines, annual flowers, and tender perennial vegetation died. This year has been the worst! I thought we would finally get some gorgeous weather that would create a beautiful fall garden - and what did we get? A freak cold snap that killed everything. The worst drought in memory and now an early freeze.


  • Pulled up my green bean plants because they froze. Nematodes, but not too bad.

  • Buried orange peel in the vegetable boxes. The oranges came from my tree in the back yard in Houston. Many dozens of oranges on my tree.

  • Mulched some of my roses in the Rose Garden.

  • Mulched all the fruit trees except for the peach trees.

  • Weeded, weeded, weeded.

  • Saturday built a long bed about 35 feet long and 4 feet wide and a smaller bed about 5 x 5 in the Star Garden. Lots of work! The long one has a sprinkler right in the middle of it which will have to be put on an extension. All the soil I bought is gone.

  • Turned the soil in the rose boxes where the Ballerina roses are growing and sowed two packets of mixed wildflower seeds.

  • Sowed California Poppy, Rocket Larkspur, and Ox Eye Daisy in the Rose Garden and the new beds.

  • Mulched the Anacachoe Orchid Tree.

  • Cleaned the bird baths and filled them with water.

  • Filled the bird feeders.

  • Watered shrubs in the Greenhouse Garden.

  • Planted 1015 onion sets in the Vegetable Garden and planted the leftover onions in one of the beds I built last week.

  • I was so tired Sunday! I wore myself out on Saturday. Left about 3:00 on Sunday. Took a nap at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment