Monday, April 21, 2014

The Vegetable Garden April 20, 2014

We had a salad of arugula, Red Sails lettuce, spinach, and mustard with our dinner on Saturday evening.
The spring garden is completely planted now that I have the 3 eggplants in the ground.  I have7 tomato plants in the middle bed.
I have one 4x4 bed and half of another planted with red potatoes.  This year I just crammed them in and crowded them up.
I planted a lot of onions because, well, we eat onions.  These onions are interplanted with Johnny Jump Ups which are edible flowers.
More onions and some Contender green beans.
This is Red Sails lettuce.  So pretty.
This is mustard that is trying to go to seed, but I keep pinching it back so it will hang on a little longer.  The young leaves are really good in salads.  I stuck a few potatoes amongst the mustard.
Carrots - fun to grow, delicious when they are freshly picked, and the greenery is larval food for swallowtails.
Lettuce and squash seedlings.  I will thin the squash next weekend.
More green beans and arugula.

No comments:

Post a Comment