Sunday, October 19, 2014

Weekend at the Farm October 18 - 19, 2014


Friday night went to dinner at Artista and the musical Anything Goes at the Hobby Center with my husband and mom and dad.  Very nice evening.  Drove to Burton Saturday morning.
  • Stopped at the Arbor Gate and bought a Mutabalis rose for the center spot in my original flower bed - the first one I ever made all those many years ago.  I had a Marie can Houtte planted there that I put in last spring.  But one thing after another befell it.  First rabbits kept eating all the leaves off it, and then Obedient plant surrounded and smothered it.  It finally gave up the ghost.  I decided to try Mutabalis.  This rose can grow as tall as 10 feet.  Its nickname is the butterfly rose because the single flowers can be dark pink, coral, and yellow.  It is very colorful.  I've considered planting one over the years, but they get so big it isn't easy to find a good spot for it.  And I am not really a fan of singles.  Why have single blooms when you have doubles?  But I finally gave in.
  • I also bought some vegetable plants while I was there which I kind of regret.  They are spindly things, they don't even look like they are going to make it.  Gunter was there with some of their plants selling them onsite.  My enthusiasm got the better of me. I bought three broccoli, three cauliflower, two celery, and mustard.  I also picked up three garlic bulbs to plant, a packet of cilantro, four rosemary plants, four chives, and three pot marigolds.
  • Planted the Mutabalis in the center bed, pulled up lots of Obedient plant that was growing near it.
  • Prepared the vegetable beds with fertilizer and chitin.  Planted the veggie plants I bought, spread the cilantro seed in various places.  Broke apart the garlic bulbs and planted the cloves.  Planted the pot marigolds with the garlic. 
  • Pruned the tomato branches that were growing beyond the cages.  One of the Mexican sunflowers had fallen over and knocked a bunch of stuff all over the place.  I picked all that up - tomato cages, metal stakes, and wire frames.
  • Baked a carrot cake to take to the Sandtown Wildlife Association meeting on Saturday evening.
  • Attended the Wildlife Association meeting.  I'm hoping one day that I can find someone that will walk with me through  the woods on our property and tell me what some of the trees and vegetation are.  I know what the names of some things are such as Beautyberry, Poke Salad, many of the wildflowers.  But there are so many plants that I'm curious about, especially the trees.  Met some good people at the meeting.  The speaker was the deputy sheriff of Washington County.  He talked about the whole set up of the department, how many people work in the sheriff's office, how they interact with the state police and other nearby departments like Blinn.  He talked about the crime that happens in Washington County.  Very interesting.
  • Sunday, up at 7.
  • Planted 160 bulbs, 60 Ice Follies and 100 Double Campernelles.  Planted the sixty Ice Follies daffodils in groups of 5 - 6 in the border next to the Rose Garden.  Planted about 30 double Campernelles in the bed with Fortunes Double rose, ten or so in the Star Garden in the ginger bed and the red canna bed.  The rest of the Double Campernelles I planted in a row along the Rose Garden fence.   That will create a double row of double daffodils because I planted a row of 100 last year.  Should be pretty.
  • Turned over the soil in one section of the Long Border and seeded it with California Poppies and Catchfly.  This area is dry, so I'm hoping the California Poppies will do well, they can take some drought.  I've never grown Catchfly, so who knows.  Each year I like to grow a few wildflowers that I've never grown to see if I like them.  That didn't work out too well for me last year...  The Dames Rocket I planted made huge green plants that never bloomed.  They are perennials, so maybe next spring I'll get some results.  I planted chicory last year, it never bloomed because the rabbits loved the tasty leaves.
  • Turned over the soil in a few beds of the Rose Garden and seeded them with California Poppies and Catchfly.  
  • Transplanted some Ox Eye Daisy that was growing in the paths of the Rose Garden and under some of the rose shrubs and planted in various places.  
  • Deadheaded the roses.  The Rose Garden looks good.  Rolf Fiedler Ipheion bulbs, Hoop Petticoats, Blue Bottles, and Leeks have sprouted.  Black Eyed Susan and Bluebonnet seedlings have sprouted.
  • Turned over the soil, pulled up mint, cut away dead vegetation and planted 4 chive plants in the Kitchen Herb Garden.  Surrounded them with chicken wire to protect them from the rabbits.
  • Planted a rosemary plant in the Long Border.  Planted another one in the Medicine Garden.  Planted one in Kitchen Herb Garden.  I planted another one somewhere, but I forgot where I planted it.
  • Sprayed herbicide in the Rose Garden.  Lots of Blackeyed Susans have sprouted in the paths.
  • Planted some African Hostas that I picked up last weekend.  They were on top of the soil (which they seem to do naturally) in the Shade Garden.  I planted them in the bed with my Debutante Camellia.
  • Harvested some of the Hyacinth Bean vine pods that have dried out.
  • Cut some of the Philippine Lily seed pods that had opened up and spread them at the end of the La Marne Hedge, around the tree where the Ehrlicheers are planted, and several other beds that in partial shade.  I just love Philippine Lilies.  One day I hope to have hundreds of plants blooming at once.
  • I am sore and tired.  Good weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment