Sunday, January 18, 2015

Weekend at the Farm January 16, 2015


 This is a metal sign / yard art Josh gave me for Christmas.  He knows me well...

Arrived Thursday evening, limping from a fall off of a ladder and a bandage across my nose from having a basal cell carcinoma cut away from my nose - stitches from the top of my nose to the bottom.  I don't look too good!
  • Friday I cleared out the remaining part of the garden that I am splitting up into multiple flowerbeds.  
  • Went to the Antique Rose Emporium on Friday.  Yahoo, they were having a sale - half price perennials and $12 roses.  I bought 5 Country Girl mums.  I saw them blooming in the fall last year when I was there, and I was entranced.  Pale purple daisy-like flowers blooming when most things are not.  I loved them, and if they reseed like my Ox Eye Daisies (which they remind me of), they are plants that can really transform my fall garden for the better.  I also bought 3 Indian Pinks.  They are shade lovers that bloom red and yellow flowers.  I bought one Gardenview Scarlett Monarda.  Finally, I bought a Climbing Pinkie rose and a Zepherine Drouhin rose, they are both climbers.
  • Jess and Nathan had Oliver's birthday party here on Saturday.  The weather was really pretty - cool and sunny.  About 25 guests.
  • Sunday morning I planted my three Spigelia Marilandicas (Indian Pinks) in one of the shady beds I made a couple of weeks ago.
  • I planted three of the Country Girl mums in the Star Garden next to my Gruss an Achaan rose, and I planted the other two in the flower bed with the Morning Glory tree.  I had to dig up a bunch of Picasso dwarf cannas.  I put them in pots and will check with my neighbor and my co-worker to see if they want them.
  • I planted the  Gardenview Scarlett Monarda in the Morning Glory tree.  That flowerbed has been kind of uninteresting. Hopefully these two plant additions will help.
  • I planted the Climbing Pinkie next to one of the metal conveyor belts that my husband set upright in cement in the Star Garden.  I will train it up that support.  Climbing Pinkie is a Polyantha rose, which is a cluster-flowered rose.  It was introduced in 1952.  This rose is supposed to be a prolific bloomer.
  • And finally I amended the horrible, rocky soil at the edge of the Rose Garden closest to the front driveway and I planted the Zepherine Drouhin.  This climbing Bourbon rose was introduced in 1868, the flowers are cerise. The Bourbon rose class has the wonderful smell that you associate with the "true" rose smell.  My husband is going to set up a tri-pod around it so I can train this pretty rose upwards.  I would have preferred that he set up the tri-pod first for fear he will trample all over the rose, but he isn't ready to do it.  He spend his time putting in extra shelves in the laundry room and cleaning the oven - both good chores!
  • Filled two big black buckets with potting soil, mixed in some greensand and organic fertilizer, set up climbing structures in them, and planted Burpeeana Early peas in the Vegetable Garden.  
  • Sowed two rows of Early Wonder beets in the Vegetable Garden.
  • Dug up a clump of gingers and moved them to a new bed.  The Hoja Santa will take it over this summer, so I was proactive for a change, and I moved it before it started suffering.
  • Fertilized my newest Banana Shrubs and my Brussels Sprouts.


No comments:

Post a Comment