Sunday, April 10, 2016

Weekend at the Farm April 9-10, 2016


Arrived Saturday afternoon after attending Wes' birthday party.  He just turned one.  Pretty dry around here, no rain for many weeks, a top soil dryness, we have had good rain this spring and the woods look healthy.

I decided I'm going to dig up the Kolkwitzia Amablis Pink Cloud shrubs outside the dining room windows.  Not enough bang for the buck.  Unimpressive flowers for a shrub that completely blocks the view outside.  I'll do it this fall.

The poppies I got from Maedell are in full bloom right now.  So pretty.

The armadillos are back.  I see signs of their digging everywhere.  Little bastards. Frown.

Raked the paths in the Vegetable Garden where the fungus was making a comeback, and I threw it in the woods.

Cut away plants that were stretching into the paths.

I decided that I really need to clear the paths in the Rose Garden where the Homestead Purple Verbena has taken over.  I was going to leave it, but there are too many places blocked off.  I transplanted a bunch of it to other places which is the thing I didn't want to get into today, but there you go.

Put down compost in various places.

Got out the ladder so I could reach some Peggy Martin canes, and I tied them up against the chain that I'm training her on.  Spent some time tying Zepherine Drouhin canes against the cedar arbor that I'm training her on.

Planted 2 Buddleia hybrids, Buzz Velvet and Buzz Sky Blue, in the Star Garden.  Also planted 2 Agastache Kudos Coral plants in the Star Garden.

Watered in the Rose Garden.

Laid down more compost.

Bunched and tied daffodil greenery to get it out of the way.  You're not supposed to cut it because the dying greenery gives energy to the bulbs.

Spent some time in the Vegetable Garden weeding.

Checked on the bees and removed the feeder.  

Climbed inside the fence Bert built around my African Hostas and weeded.

Sprayed herbicide in the driveway, Shade Garden, Orchard and Rose Garden.

Put down ant poison in the Orchard.

Put a wheelbarrow of compost in one of the front flowerbeds and called it a day.  We left after the Masters was over.





No comments:

Post a Comment