Sunday, October 16, 2016

Weekend at the Farm October 15 - 16, 2016




We arrived about 6:30 on Friday evening.  We drove in to Round Top for dinner.
  • Bert and Ray went fishing, so Bert was up and out of the house by 6 on Saturday morning.  It rained during the night and everything was wet and shiny when I took my first stroll around the place at 7.
  • I cut back my Pringle Aster first thing.  It's not blooming anymore and it crowds out my Gruss an Achaan and my Butterfly roses.
  • I dug up some iris and reset them.  My recollection is that the iris underneath my Almond Verbena is Galactic Gold.  It will never bloom underneath that dense canopy.  I moved about 6 to the front bed where they will get plenty of sun.  I also dug up 4 or so Clyde Redmond iris and  moved them to the bed around the old dead tree in the Rose Garden.  I already have a bunch of Clyde Redmond planted there.
  • I spent a couple of hours raking out the Ehrlicheer bed, smoothing out the soil (damn armadillos) and spreading mulch.  I transplanted some Ox Eye Daisies that were too close to the edge of the bed.  It looks really good.  I spread some red corn poppies and Larkspur in an area that I didn't mulch.
  • I spent the rest of the morning mulching an iris bed.  There are lots of Philippine Lily seedlings mixed in there.  Weeding and cleaning it up before I laid down the mulch was painstaking.  And putting down the mulch around the iris without covering up the rhizomes with too much mulch - they don't like their backs covered up - and mulching around the seedlings was an effort!  I re-set a lot if iris that were growing up against the edges of the bed.  Most of them I planted right back in the same bed, and some I took to the Rose Garden and planted there.
  •  Next I cleaned out the bed with the Harlequin Glorybower.  There are lots of iris in there as well.  Same thing as above - I re-set some iris so they weren't growing up against the bed edges and mulched.  I spread some Foxglove seed under the Glorybower. 
  • Today was a red-letter day for butterflies.  All of the Gulf Fritillaries were out - zillions of them - and the Sulphurs and the zillions and zillions of little brown skippers, but I spotted a Julia and a Zebra Longwing.  Very exciting.  This is the first Julia I've seen all year.  I recall seeing a one-time spotting of a Zebra Longwing some months ago.  The butterfly activity in the Star Garden and the Rose Garden is highly entertaining right now.
  • Sunday morning, slept until 8:30!
  • I did some additional mulching around Fortune's Double rose and around the edges of that corner of the Rose Garden.  Fortune's Double is a once-blooming climbing rose with copper colored flowers.  It is extremely thorny, so you don't want weeds to accumulate underneath it.  I planted it in the farthest corner of the Rose Garden where no one would have to walk near it.  I left a small bare spot and seeded it with wildflower seeds.  I also seeded the box where my Ballerina rose is planted just adjacent to Fortune's Double.
  • This year I bought the following seeds:  Red Drummond Phlox, California Poppy, Rocket Larkspur, Foxglove, Red Corn Poppies, Corn Poppies, and Golden Wave Coreopsis.
  • Next I made my way to the bed where I planted five or so plugs of Homestead Purple Verbena.  I mulched around the edges of the bed, loosened the soil around the verbena and sowed some wildflower seeds.  
  • I sowed seeds here and there in spots where all my seeds could get water this week from the same sprinkler.  
  • Next I made my way to the Long Border.  I mulched the middle section of the Long Border around the Madam Antoine Mari rose.  It's pretty shady there, so in the area I left with no mulch I seeded it with Foxglove.  In the top section of the Long Border I scraped away the mulch in rows and seeded with various wildflower seeds.  This is a new process for me.  In past years I have seeded the entire area, and it becomes so weedy that I can't keep up.  This time there are only narrow rows, where my seeds are planted, that are un-mulched.  We will see how this goes. 
  • The last thing I did today was cut back my trailing purple lantana that grows along the edge of my row of La Marne roses.  I mulched the areas that I exposed after shearing them.  Then I scraped away mulch about a foot wide and about 8 feet long, loosened the soil and seeded the area with my wildflower seeds.
  • Oh yes, then I sprayed herbicide on the driveway, in the Orchard, the Rose Garden, and the Star Garden.
  • Headed home about 5. 

No comments:

Post a Comment