Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Day at the Farm April 8, 2017


I babysat for Koy and Cleo on Saturday and drove to the farm Saturday evening.
  • I spent some time in the Vegetable Garden first thing.  I covered the asparagus roots that I had partially covered three weeks ago when I planted them. 
  • I was surprised to see that not very many of my green beans had sprouted.  I sowed a lot of green bean seeds!  So I'm not sure what that's about.
  • Next I filled the cadet with mulch and worked in the Star Garden weeding and laying down mulch where I weeded.  I spent about four hours doing that.
  • I watered in the Rose Garden throughout the day.  The Tickseed is blooming and the other coreopsis that I seeded last fall is tall and getting ready to bloom.  My Monsieur Tillier and both my Dame de Couer roses are dying.  I don't know why.  They are treated the same as all the other roses.  For the last two weekends I have intended to flood then with water and press down the soil because what I usually find with my roses when they take a turn for the worse is that the voles have burrowed around the roots so extensively that the roots aren't getting any soil contact.  But I haven't had time to work on that.
  • I watered all the pots in the Star Garden.
  • I bought some coleus and various sedums (I love sedums!) and purple basil to plant in the pots around the pool.  And I mulched the tops of all the pots.  
  • Bert cut into pieces a tree that had fallen across one of the trails, and it was totally hollow in the middle.  He and I managed to pick up one of the large pieces that was really interesting-looking, and we moved it into the Shade Garden - a natural sculpture.
  • I planted 200 Iron Cross Oxalis in the flower bed that lines the path to the Boardwalk.  These are wonderful four leaf clovers, very interesting coloration and not at all invasive like their country cousins.
  • And I planted 5 Mojito Colocasia near the two that I planted last year.  I mulched around them.
  • Pam and Eric were riding their horses, so I took the opportunity to ask them about an intruder they found running from their house last weekend.  Apparently some guy has been hiding in the yaupon near the house and staring at Pam.  Pretty scary.  They suspect someone that lives down the lane, but they cannot prove it.  We are all installing or in the process of installing cameras now. Really distressing - you think you are out in the country and totally private.

No comments:

Post a Comment