Monday, June 12, 2017

Progress on my Post Oak Savannah Project June 10, 2017



This looks various unimpressive - basically just dirt.  But I thought I would document the progress, and this is where I started, so it has to be part of the pictoral history.

When I walk the area I see about 20 plant varieties.  Yaupon is trying to come up from the roots - I will kill that at some point very soon since this is a grassland.  Beautyberry is also coming up from the roots.  I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing - I will have to confer with my expert, Amy.  And I have zillions of poke seedlings popping up.  I'm not sure whether to keep them for shade this first year or get rid of most of them.  I've read that the sun shining on the bare land in the dead of summer could kill all the seeds in the seed bank here, so shade is critical this first year.  I can either plant a native cover crop or, I'm hoping, a less expensive option will be to take advantage of the poke for shade.  In addition, there are a half dozen or so vines coming up and several unknown varieties of forbs (weeds).

In the picture below I am standing next to the Vegetable Garden.  The green growth in the picture is squash.  I didn't plant it.  I used to throw my squash plants into a pile in the woods adjacent to the Vegetable Garden.  The bull dozer activity must have activated some growth. 



I was standing just beyond the Vegetable Garden when I took this photo.  The green growth in this picture is also squash. 




In the photo below I am standing at the bottom of the slope next to the Orchard.  The bull dozer is still here, I guess the operator is not in a hurry to begin his next job.





In the photo below I am standing in the middle of the cleared area aiming down the slope.  The Orchard is just to the left.


In the photo below the Orchard is to the left.








In the photo below I am aiming across the middle of the clearing towards the house.  You see my little greenhouse in the distance.

Below, this is a panorama shot at the top of the slope.



No comments:

Post a Comment