Sunday, October 14, 2018

Day at the Farm October 14, 2018

 Red Wave Cannas with a stray Cowpen Daisy growing up through the middle.

Drove up to the farm on Sunday morning.  Saturday I visited the boys - Charlie fractured his leg on the playground the day before.  Saturday night birthday girls dinner at Caracol minus Blake and Mr. H (stayed home to care for Baby Charlie).
  • I weeded around my vegetable seedlings in the Vegetable Garden for a while and generally cleaned up a bit.  I sowed some more beets in places where the seeds did not germinate.  We have been having some pounding rain for the last couple of weeks, and some of my seeds have not sprouted.
  • Spread Sevin dust on my Mustard and Collard greens.
  • I dug up the bulbs that I got at the plant swap a few months ago (can't recall the name and will have to go back in my blog at another time to note their name) because they were halfway uprooted from the armadillos.  I separated the clump and planted them in two spots in the same bed and three of the bulbs in the front bed.
  • I cleaned out the bed and loosened the soil in the bed behind the Greenhouse.  I sowed zillions of parsley seeds and set the sprinkler on it to water throughout the week.
  • I loosened the soil and sowed McKanas Giant columbine seed over the bed next to the Yuletide Camellia.
  • I loosened the soil and spread parsley seed in the spot where the peach sage died in the Medicine Garden.
  • Weeded for quite a while in the Daffodil Border.  I'm getting prepped for the arrival of my Sweetness Daffodil bulbs which should be here soon.  Most of the area is well-mulched, so not a lot of weeds, but lots of Castor plants and places here and there of crab grass.  It was a bit of a chore pulling up the tall castor plants, but mission accomplished.  I pulled up trailing purple lantana that was growing through the fence in the Rose Garden and spilling over into the Daffodil Border.  It's pretty, but it will mess up the view of the daffodils if I let it go wild.  I ended up a with a truckload of debris which Bert dumped in the woods for me.
  • I spent some time in the Rose Garden trimming the purple lantana out of the path.  I pulled weeds and pulled up spent zinnias.  I lost my Carefree Beauty rose.  What a horrible year for my roses!  It will cost a small fortune to replace all of them. 
  • I sprayed herbicide in the Rose Garden, the Orchard, along the Boardwalk, the driveway, and the Star Garden.
  • I dug up about 30 of my Hurricane Lilies in the Rose Garden (they were getting crowded) and moved them to a bed in the Star Garden that stays pretty dry.  It's a small area that is encircled by a green landscaping strip, but I've never grown anything there because it doesn't get a lot of water.  It's perfect for these lilies.  These lilies are the real deal.  They are the true heirlooms.  They bloom about three weeks later than the others (imposters).  The greenery is more lush, and they don't have the white stripe down the middle of the leaves.  These are treasures.  
  • Cleaned up and headed home.   

No comments:

Post a Comment