Saturday, December 15, 2018

Thanksgiving Week at the Farm 2018

 Tuesday morning when I went outside in the early morning the sun looked so pretty shining through the Shade Garden.

I took the week off and Bert and I spent the better part of the week at the farm.

  • Saturday Will, Kim and the kids came for a visit and spent the night.  We played outside, I pushed the kids on the swing, we made jewelry from a kit, and played Lite Brite.  They left around lunch time on Sunday.
  • We have had our first freeze, so everything is shriveled up.  I spent some time working outside pulling up the Mexican Sunflowers.  I got rid of the ones in the Rose Edge Border, the Star Garden and the Vegetable Garden.  I also spent some time straightening up in the Vegetable Garden.  I cut back the dead vegetation in the big asparagus bed in preparation for fertilizing and mulching.  I stacked tomato cages and pulled a few weeds.  I'll be back in there to cut back the small asparagus bed, rake etc.  But it's a start.
  • Monday was rainy in the morning.  I transplanted ten or so Ox Eye Daisies from paths and into the flower bed that runs alongside the path to the Boardwalk.
  • I went to the grocery store and bought all my Thanksgiving ingredients as well as food for the girls.  Josh and Amy are leaving the girls with me after Thanksgiving through the weekend (or as long as I can last).
  • I worked in the Vegetable Garden for a while.  I mulched with two truckloads of mulch.  Spread it over four empty beds - I'm leaving them fallow for the winter.  I fertilized and mulched around my garlic and carrots.  Fertilized and mulched the big asparagus bed and fertilized the small one.  Raked leaves and debris.
  • Fertilized all my emerging bulbs in the Bulb Bed, the Daffodil Border, Rose Edge, and here and there in the Star Garden. 
  • Tuesday was cold and sunny, a beautiful day.  I pulled up all the frozen zinnias in the Orchard, roughed up the soil and sowed the last of my coneflower seeds.  I also spread some red corn poppies that were left over from last year.  They might not sprout, they are so tiny I'm not sure how long they remain viable.  I also spread some parsley along the front edge of the bed.  And I spread some of the peony poppies from Maedell.
  • In the Star Garden I spread some Feverfew seeds that I found in my seed box.  
  • And in the shady part of the Star Garden next to the Banana Shrub, I spread 2 packages of McKana's Giant Columbine seed.
  • I spent some time cleaning up the area around the Banana Shrub, lots of dead vegetation such as Philippine Lily stems.  I spread some lily seeds around, and I raked the path.
  • I spent some more time raking in the Star Garden.  There are tons and tons of acorns everywhere.       

No comments:

Post a Comment