Sunday, January 20, 2019

Day at the Farm January 20, 2019

My White by the Gate Camellia looked really pretty today.

The last couple of weekends I have had grandkids here, so I didn't do any gardening.  Yesterday we went to Oliver's birthday party and drove up here on Sunday to check things out - the pool, etc.
  • I dug up about 12 plugs of Swamp Sunflower out of the bed in the Orchard and moved them to the low spot in the Meadow.
  • I moved a half dozen or so plugs of Ox Eye Daisies growing in paths and moved them to the Boardwalk path.
  • I have decided to clear out a swath of woods adjacent to the Meadow.  I'm only clearing out the yaupon.  I have a little oil can filled with a powerful herbicide (more powerful than Round Up, can't remember the name) mixed with diesel.  The process is that I lop off the yaupon close to the ground and squirt a few drops of the poison on the cut.  Yes, this is a very slow-going project because I am cutting one yaupon at a time.  I don't want to disturb the soil any more than I have to.  When we cleared out the meadow with the bulldozer, we ended up with crab grass - I don't want to repeat that mistake. When I am done I think it will be really pretty.  The forest floor of this area  is covered with a pretty woodland bunch grass.  The sun shines through the post oaks and casts a very lovely light on the grasses.  I cut down 30 or so yaupon, poisoned them and hauled them away.
  • The chicken wire I laid down in the Rose Garden to keep the deer away is not working.  I'm going to call the Chamber of Commerce and find someone that can put up an electric fence structure of some kind.
  • I pulled up grass in the Daffodil Border.  It's actually very pretty grass, but I don't want it interfering with my bulbs.
  • That's it, we drove home around 2:00.

No comments:

Post a Comment