Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Weekend at the Farm September 8, 2019

Koy's 4th birthday party at the Museum of Natural Science then to Burton after that.  Lots to do in a short time.
  • Still no rain to speak of, so I fed the bees some sugar water.
  • I watered in the Rose Garden.  I lost a rose.  Boo.  On my To Do list is to get someone out here to run a water line to the Rose Garden and add a faucet.  I can put a timer on it and get a second set of zones out here.  It is too difficult to keep my rose shrubs watered which stunts their growth.  Also, perennial flowers won't live in the dry conditions either.  The only time the Rose Garden looks really, really good is in the spring when the wild flowers are in bloom and filling up the beds with their greenery and flowers.  It will be a lot cheaper than getting more automatic sprinklers (although the hoses running everywhere aren't very attractive).  Of course, July, August and early September can be discouraging months out there because it's so hot.  When we get through those months everything improves - including my attitude.
  • Staked some zinnias in the Rose Garden and Star Garden.  I have lots of zinnia seedlings coming up, and I should have blooms by October.
  • I weeded in there for several hours.
  • Weeded in the Star Garden.  
  • I planted three Snow Rose shrubs in the large bed off the dining groom windows.  Then I surrounded the area with chicken wire and staked it in and secured it with stakes around the bottom (to protect it from the armadillos).
  • I sprayed herbicide in the Vegetable Garden, Star Garden, and Rose Garden.
  • The amaranth looks really pretty.  One good thing about the drought-y conditions is that hard rain usually knocks down my really tall plants.  Well, we are having no problem there...
  • I spread two bags of compost in a bed in the Vegetable Garden and sowed some more lettuce seed.
  • I never made it down to the Orchard.  Since I was not going to be able to clean up in there, I didn't even want to look!
  • I know I did lots of other stuff because I was outside working from 7:00 until 7:00, but none of it comes to mind
  • Organized the house for our guests next weekend - towels, soap, shampoo.  The maid will do the rest.
  • Headed to work on Monday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment