Sunday, February 2, 2020

Staycation at the Farm January 29 - February 2, 2020

Above, this is In The Pink Camellia.

I took Wednesday, Thursday and Friday off and we stayed at the farm the entire time.
  • Wednesday I spread compost.  In the Vegetable Garden, I redistributed the soil mix that is in the long, deep bed.  I never completely filled up that monster last fall.  And then I began the process of filling up the rest of that bed with compost.  I also spread compost over my small asparagus bed.
  • I spread some compost along the sunny edge of the Shade Garden.  Spread some in the front bed amongst the verbena.  I weeded and then spread compost in a few spots in the Star Garden.
  • I dug up some Philippine Lily seedlings in the Circle Drive paths, and I replanted them in the Shade Garden.
  • I did a little bit of weeding in the Rose Garden.
  • I felt really cold on Wednesday even though it was only in the 50s, so I didn't work real hard.  
  • Thursday.  More compost spreading.  I decided to work on the Hot Border.  I haven't messed with it for years.  The only thing that's growing in that long bed (that is adjacent to the Vegetable Garden) are a few random columbine that seeded on their own and several healthy clumps of Giant Rudbeckia.  There are also a few daffodils coming up that I planted many years ago.  They have never flourished there.  Except for the paperwhites, they have never bloomed nor have they produced many leaves.  So, I decided to give that bed a helping hand.  I moved a few Giant Rudbeckia seedlings from other gardens over to the Hot Border.  I spread compost around the feeble daffodils and around the Rudbeckia clumps.  I dug up some African Hostas that were growing in paths nearby - there were about 30 or so.  I planted them along the front of the bed in a 3 foot wide swath.  It will be pretty if I can remember to give it a shot of water every once in a while.
  • I spread compost in some low-lying areas in several beds in the Star Garden.  And I mostly covered the bed with my Venus Sweetshrub.  Still no bloom from that sweetshrub.  Trying to give it some encouragement.
  • Spread compost over my large asparagus bed.
  • I painted the Vegetable Garden fence.  Some boards on the inside are covered with rabbit wire, so I wasn't able to paint those boards.  But I painted all the outside and most of the inside.
  • I picked kale from the garden and made a salad for dinner.
  • Friday.  I started right away spreading compost in the Long Border.  First, I raked out the leaves and threw them on a weedy spot in the wild bed adjacent to the Rose Garden.  I spread compost around some of my salvias and my Lindlyana Buddleia.  
  • I weeded and spread compost in the Bulb Bed around my Pearlbush, my Bid Daddy hydrangea, my spicebushes, and my Diana Altheas and amongst the various bulbs growing in that bed..  While I was working in that bed I saw that lots of Parrot Gladiolas were coming up.  I didn't realize I had so many.  I dug up about 30 of them - they never bloom in that location - and planted them in three places throughout the Star Garden.  That was a good deed (moving my glads to a more prominent place in the gardens).
  • I dug up some tiny little milk and wine crinum bulbs that had sprung up from seeds.  They were growing in paths.  I moved them to the spot where the little senna tree used to be.
  • I began painting the fence around the Star Garden.  I got a large section painted.
  • Drove to Chappell Hill and met Josh where we did a switch, and I took the boys for the weekend.  They stayed with me Friday and Saturday night, so there was no more gardening for me.  I watered in a few places, but that was about it.
  • Put down plastic shelf liner in the cabinets underneath the sink.
  • Met Josh at 1488 intersection and handed off the boys on Sunday afternoon.  Super Bowl at Mom and Dad's that evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment