Monday, December 14, 2020

At the Farm During the Pandemic December 7 - 13, 2020

 

La Marne rose is still growing strong despite the freezes.

  • Arrived on Sunday afternoon by myself.  Bert joined me the next day.  We had Airbnb guests over the weekend.
  • I did a lot of walking around but not much else.  Weather was beautiful.
  • Monday.  Worked.  Beautiful weather.
  • Pulled up a bunch of ageratum from the front bed and in the Star Garden.
  • I and going to build another garden off the end of the Greenhouse Gardens.  So I spray painted the design on the ground with blue spray paint.  It will be at least $1410 to buy the materials, and I am pretty good at estimating that kind of expense.  I will do all the labor myself, but I'm hesitant about jumping in right at Christmas.
  • Tuesday. Worked.  Beautiful day!
  • I fertilized the Brussels sprouts with cottonseed meal.
  •  I planted 3 Georgia collards in the Vegetable Garden.  I planted 2 about a month ago but something got them.  Not sure what.  But they just withered and died.  I've never had that happen before.
  • I pulled up a big basil in the Rose Garden that froze.  Sowed seed in the spot. 
  • Sowed seed in the spot where I pulled up ageratum in the Star Garden on Monday.
  • I filled my new sprayer with fish emulsion and water and sprayed my tangerine tree and all my camellias.  I had no idea how many parts fish emulsion to parts water I should use.  I can only hope I didn't go overboard.  I cleaned the sprayer for its intended use as a herbicide sprayer.
  • I spread most of a 50 pound bag of cottonseed meal over my Daffodil Border.  The greenery is just beginning to appear. 
  • Wednesday.  Worked.
  • I gathered seed from my Sweet Autumn Clematis in the Orchard so that I can plant it in the spring in the garden I'm building for my mom.
  • I pulled up some dead castor vegetation in the Rose Garden and piled up the seed pods to store for later vole killing.
  • Bert and I drove to the Hardware store in town and bought 10 metal landscape edging pieces so I can begin building my garden. 
  • Thursday.  Worked.
  • I began laying down the landscape edging in the Water Garden (the garden I'm building for my mom).
  • I started on the side with the Mexican Buckeye. That used 7 pieces of edging - 8 feet long each. 
  • Friday.  Vacation
  • I drove in to town and bought 5 more pieces of landscape edging.  
  • I laid down the remaining 8.  And I dug out some edging and rock where the paths previously ended.
  • Picked up Blake's kids for the weekend.  Nothing but kid activities for the rest of the weekend.
  • There was some pretty good rain on Sunday.  Keep it coming!  My seeds in the Meadow need it.


No comments:

Post a Comment