Sunday, January 17, 2021

At the Farm During the Pandemic January 11 - ??, 2021

 

  • Monday.  Worked.
  • There is still snow on the ground from the day before.  But it is melting.  That was a lot of fun. I didn't work at all in the garden.
  • Tuesday.  Worked.
  • Still snow on the ground here and there.  But bright and sunny weather.
  • Bert bought some stepping stones at Papescapes, and I laid them down over the area where I removed the flowerbed last week.  Decomposed granite will be used to fill in the spaces between the stepping stones eventually.  I will have a load brought in at some point to finish out my mom's garden.
  • I spent about an hour in my mom's garden removing turf / turning soil.
  • Wednesday.  Worked.
  • I spent about an hour in my mom's garden removing turf / turning soil.
  • I planted a little piece of double orange day lily in the Hot Border that got turned up when I was digging around for Oxblood bulbs.
  • I watered my seed bed in the Long Border. 
  • Thursday.  Vacation.
  • I dug up and reset some stones in the Greenhouse Garden.  The exercise made me glad that I used green meatal landscape edging in my new garden.
                Before:
            After:
  • I cleaned leaves out of the bed in the picture above to see if I had any columbine seedlings underneath.  I did, so I'm glad I did that.  I also re-set a few seedlings that were growing on top of the stones that I moved.  They had germinated in little pockets of soil in the rock crevices.  
  • I did some raking and dumped the leaves in the unfinished part of the Star Garden.
  • Bert and I drove with the trailer to Shroeder's and bought a yard and a half of mushroom compost.  That old car can't take more weight than that.  I spent the rest of the day shoveling it off the trailer into my wheel barrow and into the beds in my mother's garden.  Things are moving along now. 
  • I painted the birdhouse in the Shade Garden red.  We have decided to put a few red accents in that garden.  I'm going to re-purpose the red grill that was behind the Greenhouse and use it as a planter.  And I'm going to buy some red bottles and do something with them.  Bert painted the bench in the Shade Garden red. 
  • Friday.  Drove to Antique Rose Emporium and bought a Noisette rose Madame Alfred Carriere for my mom's garden.
  • I did a lot of raking and dumped some of the leaves behind the Vegetable Garden and some of the in the unfinished part of the Star Garden. 
  • Saturday, Sunday and Monday.  Josh and Amy's kids spent the weekend.  Lots of walks, swinging, playing in the fort, snuggling and wrestling on the bed.
  • Drove home Monday.  Martin Luther King Day.  Tuesday will be my first day back at work since March of last year.      



No comments:

Post a Comment